Support Sierra Club

Sierra Club

Sunday, April 19, 2009

GeoCaching is Cool

Think back to scavenger hunts of your youth. Who hasn't wanted to have a map to a hidden treasure? This is GeoCaching. A hobby that can be rather inexpensive after initial set up. For more information about this high tech "sport", check out Geocaching.com


I (Pip) was introduced to this activity by my friend twistedmystic. And trust me, he is one twisted guy, but I've grown rather fond of his picture texts, so I keep him around.












Beth willingly comes along for the fun. I send her into the scary places (frigid waters, snake infested areas, etc) She's very handy to have around. She carries a big knife. And frankly, nobody is going to mess with her. She also logs our finds, keeps notes and generally keeps me from having to get dirty - which I hate. Oh, and she's an excellent driver.

















So to start this hobby, we purchased a Garmin Nuvi 500 before leaving Virginia for a trip to Tucker, Georgia. We found our first cache there on a rainy, cold day. We were hooked at that point.

Now Ms. Garmin, as we fondly call her, is a tad bit of a bitch. She's one of those GPS thingies that people purchase when they travel around a great deal. Her voice is rather annoying, especially when she is recalculating. We got her for the main purpose of geocaching, but she sure came in handy a few times while we were on the road, so we try not to talk bad about her anymore.

Besides allowing us to find hidden treasure, she and Beth got me to a nurse practitioner for acute tonsillitis the morning after our geocaching in the rain. She also found us a really cool restaurant in Midtown Atlanta where we had some awesome spinach dip and the best steak ever!










This was a mini adventure, secondary to geocaching. Sometimes the funnest part about a day of geocaching is the other stuff that happens along the way.

Ms. Garmin (with Beth's help) took it upon herself to take us a scenic route from Tucker, into Decatur and finally ending up in Midtown. Which was cool, as we had a few hours to kill before the Atlanta Thrashers took to the ice against Ottawha. (My first live professional hockey game ever, Beth has however, followed hockey since before God made dirt.) I don't remember the score, but I could turn into a real hockey fan, its cool.

We passed through some pretty fancy neighborhoods. I had a vague memory of this area from my Chiropractic College Daze (we won't discuss that here). I'm not sure what happened exactly on this trip either, as I was struggling to treat my tonsillitis with some sticky, numbing, slimy goo that I had to put on my swollen/germy tonsils. Beth was in charge of Ms. Garmin and some how, between the two of them, we ended up at Cow Tippers. I think I might have been running a fever too. Beth says it was a nice drive, I have to believe her, as no other witnesses were present.

Here is a few shots of that miserably cold, wet and yet extremely fun day of Geocaching in Tucker, Georgia:

























So, our friends and family might want to know what we are doing when we pile ourselves into Beth's Toyota Tacoma and disappear for an entire day...or week...or two. We'll share most of that here, as fit for public consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment